
4 pounds butternut squash
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (I use dried)
1 teaspoon cinnamon1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg (I use dried)
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper (I use black)
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup mango chutney (I have NO idea what this is, so I leave it out)
Cut squash in half and seed. baek on greased sheet at 375 covered in foil for 45-60 minutes. Scrape out meat and discard peel. In large pot, melt butter. Add onions, bay leaves, and sugar. Cook until onions are golden (10 minutes). Add ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice and cook for 1 minute. Puree squash and add to pot with chicken stock, salt, and white pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce and simmer and cook 30-45 minutes. Use handheld immersion blender to puree soup. Stir in cream and cook on low 5 minutes.
I like this recipe because: It is so fall-y! The spices just smell and taste like October.
My least favorite thing about this recipe: It takes a LOT of time to make. It has a very strong flavor so you can only eat a small bowl at a time but it sure is good!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment